History room gets a new lease on life PDF Print E-mail
News - Aktueel
Tuesday, 26 August 2014 08:19
Untitled Document

The Cullinan Heritage Society and Petra Diamond Mines recently upgraded the History Room at the tourist info centre at a cost of R60 000.


The History Room is in the tourist info centre just off Oak Avenue, Cullinan
Photos: Elsabé Maré
.

Sonette Bosch’s painting of the model, made in 1959, of a cross-section of the mine’s open pit and underground workings
.

All the walls were panelled and a false ceiling and new lighting were installed. Information in the form of banners has also been added and the exhibits have been separated into themes. John Lincoln supervised the layout and display.


John Lincoln at one of the exhibitions

The banners have photos with accompanying text and tell the story of the village from its early days, the diamonds that have been found here, the migrant workers, sport, which includes trophies from 1905, and the school, with photographs of those who attended the school over the last 100 years.


Objects on display

There is also a section on the village’s buildings, many of these are still standing and are now protected under heritage status, and an exhibition of the village’s involvement during the Second World War and the local Italian POW camp at Zonderwater.


Football trophies

Entrance is R5 by donation to the honestly box. The room is open from about 10 am until 3 pm on all days.

 

© 2019 Die/The Bronberger